Sunday, May 9, 2010

Marty Robbins - Gunfight Ballads and Trail Songs


I was always fascinated by cowboy shows on TV when I was a kid. Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" series etched very deeply in my mind. I must have watched the series 3 to 4 times. I guess that is the reason why I own so many country and western albums in my LP collection.


When I went hunting for LPs and saw a country and western LP album which I have not owned, I rarely let go the chance to own the LP. This album, Marty Robbins' "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Song" was pickup by me in this manner too.


Marty Robbins (1925 - 1982) is not strictly a country and western singer. He released country and western, pop, rock-and-roll and even Hawaiian songs in his entire recoding career. I owned several C&W and pop albums of Marty Robbins. However, I still prefer his C&W music than others. There was a presence of Latin guitar (I guess so as I am a really a novice in musical instruments) in quite a number of his songs and that made his music quite unique.


This album contains Marty Robbins' signature song "El Paso". This song reached number 1 position in Billboard's country singles and pop singles charts.


This album was released in 1959.


Song List:


Side A - Big Iron, Cool Water, Billy the Kid, Hundred and Sixty Acres, They're Hanging Me Tonight, Strawberry Roan


Side B - El Paso, In the Valley, The Master's Call, Running Gun, Down in the Little Valley, Utah Carol

4 comments:

  1. I remember trying to copy the lyrics from the radio but never succeeded because I had to wait for requests.

    It was much later when I bought the EP that I finally got all the words. By then the thrill of the song was gone.

    Those days, we had a song book where we cut pictures of Elvis, Pat Boone, etc and pasted them all over the pages together with the handwritten lyrics.

    El Paso is a very long song indeed. That's why it's called a ballad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interesting story.

    Like you, I too tried to copy the lyrics of my favourite songs from the radio. You know how frustrating it was when we were already half way done with a song but had to wait for the radio to play that song again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another really long song is, 'American Pie'. By then lyrics were easier to acquire.

    I only managed 'El Paso' after more than 6 or 7 attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, I have just checked the lyrics of 'American Pie" on the Internet. Wow, it is defintely a long long song!

    ReplyDelete