Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Slim Whitman - 15th Anniversary Album


I spent 10 years, from 1982 to 1992, in Singapore . Whenever anyone asked me about the most memorable period of my stay in Singapore, I never hesitated to tell him it was my stay in Bukit Batok with my 3 great friends, Tian Chee, Kim Heong and Kean Hin. We spent so much time playing mahjong, hunting for food and doing all sorts of crazy things together.

Tian Chee and I shared the same hobby of music listening. One day, Tian Chee and I went to Bukit Timah Shopping Plaza to shop for CDs. I picked up a CD titled “Slim Whitman - 15th Anniversary album”. I requested the shop owner to play the CD for us. When Slim Whitman yodeled out side A’s 1st song, “Indian Love Call”, Tian Chee laughed at me because it was his first time hearing someone yodeled. Moreover, Slim has such a thin and unique voice. I bought the CD anyway.

I played that CD so frequently that Tian Chee could even yodel Indian Love Call exactly the same way as Slim Whitman did.

Fast forward to July 2006, I found and bought an LP of the same title. It was my first Slim Whitman’s LP. I now have 53 Slim Whitman’s LPs. I even own 3 copies of Slim Whitman’s “Red River Valley” album in my collection.

2 comments:

  1. sLIM'S A FREIND OF MINE. LOOK HERE FOR SLIM WHITMAN STUFF AND INFO.
    slimwhitmancollectorsinternational.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Did you originally include a link for flacs or mp3s of this LP? I've wanted to hear it for years. A friend of mine from college used to have this on cassette, 20 years ago, and we listened to it many times. I haven't heard it since. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete