Sunday, November 15, 2009

Merle Haggard - The Way It Was In '51


When I decided to post an album of Merle Haggard previously, I was so indecisive on whether to post “The Best of Merle Haggard” or “The Way It Was In ‘51”. After I posted the former, I then thought something would be missing if I did post the later. So here is Merle Haggard’s “The Way It Was In ‘51”.

I found that many country singers were influenced by 2 great country and western music legends, Jimmie Rodgers (1897-1933) and Hank Williams (1923-1953). Hank Williams wrote so many great songs that many singers included Hank Williams’ songs in their albums. On side 1 of this album, Haggard sang 5 songs of Hank Williams and a song written by him, “The Way It Was In ‘51”.

Merle Haggard’s also idolized Lefty Frizzell. As a rebelious teenager, Merle Haggard landed in and out of reform schools many times. At the age of 14, he attended a Lefty Frizzell’s concert when he was out of the reform school. That concert left a great influence on Merle Haggard. Subsequently, Haggard followed Frizzell’s singing style very closely. I found both of them sounded very similar. In fact, I come to know Lefty Frizzell after searching for Merle Haggard’s information on Internet. On side 2 of this album, Haggard sang 4 songs of Lefty Frizzell and a song written by him, “Goodbye Lefty”.
I love the 2 songs written by Merle Haggard “The Way It Was In ‘51” and “Goodbye Lefty”. The 2 songs reflect the typical style of Merle Haggard. The rest of the songs are well known songs of Hank Williams and Lefty Frizzell. They were simply superb.

Besides singing very well, Merle Haggard is also a very talented song writer. He has won countless music awards as a singers and song writer, including Grammy Awards for Best Country Vocal Performance, Male, in 1984 and Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 1999. He was also inducted into Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in 1994.

This album was released in 1978.

Song List:

Hank’s Side : The Way It Was In '51, Moanin' The Blues, My Heart Would Know, Lovesick Blues, I Saw The Light

Lefty’s Side : Mom And Dad's Waltz, It Meant Goodbye To Me, I'm An Old Old Man Tryin' To Live While I Can, I Never Go Around Mirrors, Goodbye Lefty

3 comments:

  1. Frank Ifield took the song, 'Lovesick Blues' to #1 in the United Kingdom in 1963. It's the only song I know on the whole list. If I remember, his version has lots of warbling and yodelling.

    Must look for 'Old, Old man Tryin' To Live...'
    I am learning from your blog BC.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, I have just checked Wikipedia for the song 'Lovesick Blues'. It was written and recorded by others earlier. However, it became popular after Hank Williams recoded it in 1948.

    Haha, "I'm An Old Old Man Tryin' To Live...' is a fast tempo country song with hilarious lyrics. I could only find the lyrics but not the song on Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, BC. I shall find the lyrics and read it. I hope it will teach me a thing or two about 'living while I can'.

    The two Merle Haggard songs on YouTube are really nice to listen to. I find cowboy songs somewhat different from present country and western ones. Not so much heavy guitar backing, just an easy going style. Like what they used to sing at the ranch after a hard day's work with the farm hands.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete