Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Song - The Way It Was In ‘51

Lyrics by Merle Haggard

Sixty-six was still a narrow two-lane highway
Harry Truman was the man who ran the show
The bad Korean war was just beginning
And I was just three years too young to go
Country Music hadn't gone to New York City yet
And a service man was proud of what he'd done
Hank and Lefty crowded every jukebox
That's the way it was in fifty one.

There's so much about the good old days I'd love to tell
And there's folks around I know still remember well
Slow dancin' close together when a ballad played
'Cause a thing called Rock and Roll was yet to come
It was a big year for a drive-in rest'rant carhop
That's the way it was in fifty one.

There's so much about the good old days I'd love to tell
And there's folks around I know still remember well
Slow dancin' close together when a ballad played
'Cause a thing called Rock and Roll was yet to come
It was a big year for a drive-in rest'rant carhop
That's the way it was in fifty one.

Yeah! Hank and Lefty crowded every jukebox
Oh Lord! That's the way it was in fifty one


* * *

This is the first song on side A of Merle Haggard's "The Way It Was In '51" album.

I am the type of person who likes to recount my good old days. And since Merle Haggard is a damn good song writer who wrote so many songs about his own good old days. I was instantly attracted to the musics and lyrics his songs on the very moment I listened to my first Merle Haggard's album. I bought that album, "Someday We'll Look Back", in December 2006.

Most of Merle Haggard songs are very rhythmic and catchy. I just could not help but to hum along. "The Way it was in '51" is a typical example of Merle Haggard's songs, so rhythmic, so catchy and more importantly, counting his good old days.

Here's the link to this song,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu_8M2L6kHY

6 comments:

  1. This post is very interesting and for you to document the lyrics is great because it explains why a lot of CW music are ballads or narrative songs.

    Your previous posting about gunfighter ballads is another example.

    I am learning much from your blog.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, thanks for your kind comment.

    As a music lover, the best thing I could derive from this hobby is to discover a great song/singer. I was so excited when I listen to Merle Haggard, Bobby Bare, Miyoshi Umeki, etc for the first time.

    The next best thing is to share this discovery with friends, much like the way you introduced Rick Nelson, Tab Hunter, Blue Diamonds, etc to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even Ray Charles respects and sings Country & Western. That how great CWM is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Andy, I have an LP of Nat King Cole and in that LP, even the great Nat King Cole recorded a country song, "Ramblin' Rose".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous28/11/09

    hear this song first time. Very nice song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anon, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete