Friday, November 27, 2009

Harry Belafonte - Streets I Haved Walked

This is an album where Harry Belafonte sang mostly traditional songs from several parts of the world. He even sang the traditional Japanese court song, Sakura, in Japanese language. Joining him in the recording of this album was the choir of Springfield Gardens Junior High School No. 59.

This album was released in 1963.

Side 1:
Sit Down – Early Negro Spiritual
Erev Shel Shoshanim - Israeli
Waltzing Matilda – Australian
My Old Paint – American West
Mangwene Mpulele – South African
This Land Is Your Land – American

Side 2:
Tunga – Portuguese
Sakura – Japanese court song
Amen – Negro Spiritual
The Borning Day – West Indian
This Wicked Race – Spiritual in Gospel Tradition
Come Away Melinda – A song for all children everywhere

2 comments:

  1. Oh BC, Where did you get this album? Wish I had one. I like the international cuisine.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    Thanks for yout comment.

    I got this album from Amcorp Mall too. I know you really love music, all kinds of music.

    In this album. Belafonte sang "Sakura" and a few others in non-English languages. I don't know whether he understood them or not but I could really felt that he sang them with his heart and soul. Wonderful!

    Regards,
    BC Teoh

    ReplyDelete