Saturday, December 5, 2009

Jim Reeves - Twelve Songs of Christmas


In an early post, here, I mentioned about my neighbour, Ah Beng, and the numerous weekends I spent with him to listen to English songs. I think Ah Beng’s family was the only Christian family in our neighbourhood. Ah Beng’s Christmas party was one event I was looking forward to attending every year in late 60s.

For several years during Christmas eves in the late 60s, my childhood friends like Su Bee, Su Kien, Su Long, Su Lee, Wei Lun, Wei Kien, my brothers and sister, Kien Huat (I think so) and some other kids were invited to his house. Although we didn’t understand the significance of Christmas but we were all thrilled by the festive mode, the games, the foods, the drinks and the presents. But the biggest thrill of all was the boys got to spend the night sleeping by the twinkling Christmas tree at Ah Beng’s house. We also got to hang our socks at the best spots on the Christmas tree. Ah Beng would then lead us to lie down and pretend to sleep. I can still remember vividly that when the REAL Santa Claus appeared, we held our breath quietly to wait for the Santa Claus to stuff some little presents into our socks. When the Santa Claus left, Ah Beng would then switched on the lights and we would continue jollying until early morning.

This fond childhood memory still lives in my mind till today. So when December comes, I never fail to retrieve my CDs and LPs on Christmas songs and replay them.

One of the CDs and LPs that I listen more often is Jim Reeves’ Twelve Songs of Christmas. This album contains many of the traditional Christmas songs that many are familiar with. With Jim Reeves’ smooth and silky voice, he has that little magic touch that brings out the Christmas mood in my heart.

How nice if Ah Beng were to organize a Christmas party for all the childhood friends once more…

Song List:

Side 1- Jingle Bells, Blue Christmas, Senor Santa Claus, An Old Christmas Card, The Merry Christmas Polka, White Christmas

Side 2 – Silver Bells, C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Mary’s Little Boy Child, Oh Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night

10 comments:

  1. Must be memories that linger all these years and for the future too. Jim Reeves is so versatile and sings Xmas songs that put his listeners in yuletide mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experience goes to show that no children should lose their childhood eg thro child labour which is sadly still prevalent in my countries. To lose it is a violation of human rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Andy, our sweet memories will linger on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger, those of us who grew up in the 70s, 60s and earlier led a carefree childhood lives. However, I am surprise to hear that there is child labour in your country

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/12/09

    I like this album and an old one for us by Ruth Lyons from her 50-50 Club. It is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a time for joy and good tidings but I think Christmas is definitely for children with its cheerful and colourful celebration.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to listen the gentleman Jim Reevs his carol song in this Christmas season...one more a tip in his voice like "Velvet voice"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes nomore, Jim Reeves has a fantastic voice. I love to listen to his songs very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous16/2/11

    Hello friend, if you get a chance go to youtube and type in the search bar "Jim Reeves - Maureen" it's a song from the album Titled, The Jim Reeves Way ..........listen to the lyrics and the emotion jim puts into this song it's just superb.......best wishess, David..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David,

    I have just listened to the song "Maureen" from YouTube and from "The Jim Reeves Way" LP as well. The song is simply superb.

    Thanks for the recommendation.

    Regards,
    BC Teoh

    ReplyDelete