Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Slim Whitman - The Christmas Album

I have been listening to Slim Whitman's songs for many years. In fact my brother told me that my father owned one LP of Slim Whitman during the 60s. However, I could not remember which LP did my father own that time.
I like to listen to Slim Whitman because he was a very good yodeler. his unique voice and the steel guitar which was the essential part of his music. However, the organ took over the place of his steel guitar as the main muical instrument in this album.
This album was released in 1969.

Song List:
Side 1 - Joy to The World, There's a Song in The Air, Long Ago There Was Born, The Bethlehem Star, The Silver Star

Side 2 - The Joy Bells Are Ringing, The Song of The Desert, Silent Night, Christmas, Oh Little Town of Bethlehem, O Holy Night

7 comments:

  1. The first time I heard Slim Whitman was his rendition of 'China Doll', 'Rose Marie' and 'Indian Love Call'. These are the songs that made him famous in the 50s.

    Yes, and fantastic yodelling too. We have a chap in the early 60s called Rocky Wong who sings like him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have forgotten when did I first hear Slim Whitman. But I defintely knew him before I bought his CD.

    My first Slim Whitman CD contained the 3 songs mentioned by you and another good one named "Cattle Call". These were the songs that make me crazy about Slim Whitman.

    It will be great if I am able to find Rocky Wong's album one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, an education for me here to be honest. Lovely evocative cover. At this very moment, a Christmas song from the radio fills my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger, I have just put up a YouTube clip of Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call" at the side bar.

    He has a very unique voice. He is also a superb yodeller. Please pay attention to the sound of the steel guitar for he was labelled as "A man with a singing guitar"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous14/12/09

    Incredibly melodic song! Very evocative! Roger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous14/12/09

    I listened to him on YT till 3AM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger, so you like his unique voice. He is my no. 2 favourite.

    ReplyDelete