Sunday, December 13, 2009

John Denver - Rocky Mountain Christmas

I think John Denver was the first country singer that I knew. During the cartridge era on the 70s, there was already a John Denver’s “Greatest Hits 1” album in my house. I liked “Take me Home Country Road” so much that I memorized that song by heart and could sing the entire song along when I played that song on cartridge. My second John Denver album was “John Denver’s Greatest Hits 3” CD which I bought in the 80s. O was again mesmerized by several songs namely “Some Days Are Diamonds”, Seasons of My Heart”, Shanghai Breezes” and “Perhaps Love”, in that album.


Rocky
Mountain
Christmas” was my first John Denver LP. I bought this LP in April 2007. When I replay this LP, I feel that John Denver is reciting poems and telling Christmas tales rather than singing songs. This is one of the albums that could keep me sitting on the sofa and listen with total relaxation.

Jim Reeves’ “12 Songs of Christmas”, Pat Boone’s “White Christmas” and this album are the 3 Christmas albums that I listen most often this year.


Song List:


Side 1 - Aspenglow, The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire), Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, Silver Bells, Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas), Christmas For Cowboys


Side 2 - Away In A Manger, What Child Is This, Coventry Carol, O Holy Night, Silent Night Holy Night, A Baby Just Like You.

3 comments:

  1. I have not seen nor heard this album before but I have listened to John Denver's, "Silver Bells" and "O Holy Night." He has this very natural way of singing sentimental melodies like his well known, "Poems, Prayers and Promises." Pity he left us so early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The days they pass so quickly now
    Nights are seldom long
    And time around me whispers when it's cold
    The changes somehow frighten me
    Still I have to smile
    It turns me on to think of growing old
    For though my life's been good to me
    There's still so much to do
    So many things my mind has never known
    I'd like to raise a family
    I'd like to sail away
    And dance across the mountains on the moon
    ... Poems, Prayers and Promises

    I always feel that he is poet and philosopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have good taste my friend...

    ReplyDelete