Sunday, December 6, 2009

Song - An Old Christmas Card

Sung by Jim Reeves


(It's the mem'ry of an old Christmas card)
There's an old Christmas card in an old dusty trunk
And it brings back sweet mem'ries dear to me
Though it's faded and worn it's as precious as the morn
When I found it ‘neath our first Christmas tree
I thrill with every word every line guess I'm always sentimental round this time
Pardon me if a tear falls among my Christmas cheer
It's the mem'ry of an old Christmas card

You know I don't know why I get to feeling sentimental about this time every year
But every time I see a Christmas card I somehow can't help reminiscing
About the very first Christmas that you and I spent together
What a beautiful Christmas card you gave me that year
Why I know you must have looked through thousands of cards
To find that wonderful poem that still brings a tear to my eye

I thrill with every word every line guess I'm always sentimental round this time
Pardon me if a tear falls among my Christmas cheer
It's the mem'ry of an old Christmas card

* * *

This song is collected in Jim Reeves’ Twelve Songs of Christmas album. Personally I think this is more of a love song than a Christmas song. However, it stands out from the rest of Christmas songs in this album.

4 comments:

  1. One of my favourite singers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, he is my no. 1 favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most distinguished Country and Western gentleman. He can't be a cowboy can he? No rough and tumble here but smooth, sophisticated, selective singing.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although he was labelled as a C&W singer, I feel that he was a gentle crooner rather than a rough cowboy.

    In fact, his albums and singles charted very often on both C&W chart and pop chart in the 50s and 60s.

    ReplyDelete