Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Patti Page - Honey Come Back

I studied in Sin Min B Primary School from 1968 to 1973. Sin Min B is a Chinese primary school located in Sungai Petani, Kedah, Malaysia. As a student of a Chinese school, all my classmates and I did not understand English well so we hardly listened to English songs. Even when I watched English shows on TV during those days, I only watched the actions but understood very little about what the actors said. When I was in primary 4, I befriended a neighbour, Ah Beng, who was about 3 years older than me. As an English educated student, Ah Beng listened mainly to English songs. I remember that on many Fridays and Saturdays (my school closed on Fridays and Saturdays), I went to his house and spent time with him listening to English songs from a small radio belonged to Ah Beng’s father. It was during that time that I came to know Cliff Richard, Beatles, the Beach Boys and other English singers. Ah Beng had some cassette/cartridge tapes(can't remember exactly) and one of them was Patti Page’s tape. It contained many of Patti Page’s greatest songs such as “Tennessee Waltz”, “I Went to You Wedding” and “How Much is That Doggie in the Window”. The last was my favourite then. I remember that Ah Beng and I replayed the song so many times in order to copy its lyrics so that we could sing (and bark) along with Patti Page. When I started my LP collection, I also started to search for Patti Page’s LPs. I managed to find this LP in September 2006. This album was released in 1970. It did not contain the 3 signature songs listed above. Anyway, I was not disappointed because Patti Page delivered the songs in this album with her silky smooth voice. My favourite song in this album is “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again”. Song List: Side 1 – I’ll Never Fall in Love Again, Come Saturday Morning, Wonderful World Wonderful People, A Brand New Me, Early in the Morning Side 2 – La La La, Something, Yester-Me Yester-You Yesterday, Winter World of Love, Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, Honey Come Back

11 comments:

  1. One of my favourite female singers with 'Tennesse Waltz' and 'Doggie In The Window.' Now I teach my grandson, 'Doggie'. We pass the great songs down.

    She is one of the pillars of vinyls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, I have another LP of Patti Page that contains Tennesse Waltz and I Went to Your Wedding. Even my wife, who does not appreciate most of the songs I listen, likes Patti Page.

    By the way, your grandson must have learnt many songs from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite singers too. I'm tickled that Ah Beng was into English pop songs. In Singapore the term Ah Beng is often used in a derogatory sense to refer to someone who speaks dialects, and is uncouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger, you remind me of the Singaporean name, Ah Beng. I received many Singapore's jokes about Ah Beng via e-mails too. Haha!

    This Ah Beng that I blogged was a real person. All of us addressed him as Ah Beng to the extent that we forgot his full name. He was also a clever student who spoke good English.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I've learned something today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's an unclear video on YouTube you can watch. Just key in: Andy Silver Strings and you can see my grandson at the end of the song. But recording is really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy, just watched the video. Saw your handsome grandson. You should let him sing with you on stage one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that he can learn English through the lyrics he listens to and like you and your children, me and mine, can appreciate music which unites people from all over.

    "If music be the food of love, play on..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came across your blog quite by accident - you have a good collection of albums. Found you by looking for Wilf Carter. I too have been chasing his stuff.
    Hopefully I'll get lucky just like you - and get me a copy of wilf's 40th Anniversary album.
    Just so that I can get his song - Can I sleep in your barn tonight mister. Me miss's has been at me for years trying to get it/
    Anyway - enough of that - like your site - really enjoy your comments - and its good to see country yodeler's are still being listened too.
    Cheers for now - Mike

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mike,

    Thanks for your visit and your kind comment. It really gives me a lot of encouragement.

    I am pleased to that know someone who share my liking for Wilf Carter. I believe that if you try hard to search for Wilf Carter, you will be able to get his album one day. Good luck to you!

    I have just searched the You Tube and found ‘May I Sleep in your Barn Tonight, Mister” by an unknown singer from You Tube. Here’s the link,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wQRK0W42QQ

    I am looking forward to your visit again. You are always welcome to leave your comments here.

    Regards,
    BC Teoh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9/2/11

    this is a terrific version of this song by one of the worlds best female vocalists,just terrific

    ReplyDelete