Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Country Side of Roy Rogers

Roy Rogers (1911-1998) was a very famous cowboy actor. He acted in over 100 cowboy movies. From his nickname “King of the Cowboys”, we could imagine how famous he was as an actor. Actually, Roy Rogers started his career in 1934 as a singer by forming a cowboy music group called Sons of the Pioneers. He filming career only started a year later at 1935. However, when Roy Rogers became very popular as an actor in 1938, he had no choice but to leave Sons of the Pioneers.

Although Roy Rogers had sung as part of the Sons of the Pioneers group, the note at the back cover describes this album, The Country Side of Roy Rogers, “ is the milestone because it represents the very first time Roy Roger – “King of the Cowboys” - has recorded an album of contemporary country music”.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Roy Rogers yodeled in the song “The Night Guard” although his yodeling skill was not as good as Jimmie Rodgers and Slim Whitman.

Song List:

Side 1 - Money Can’t Buy My Love, I Washed My Face in the Morning Dew, The Blizzard, Down Home, Okie From Muskogee

Side 2 - The Fightin' Side of Me, Green Green Grass of Home, The Night Guard, Vision at the Peace Table, You and Me Against the World

6 comments:

  1. Thanks BC. My favourite cowboy. Really. I went all the way to Great World to view one of his movies a long time ago. It is called, DON'T FENCE ME IN. I was very young then. It was a 1945 movie.
    "Oh give me land, lots of land,/Under starry skies above,/Don't fence me in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember going to cinemas quite a number of times when I was a kid. The most memorable movies I watched were Clint Eastwood's "man with no name" series. The cinemas in Sungai Petani kept replaying those few movies after every 1 or 2 years and yet I went to watch them again and again.

    Andy, aren't these our fond memories when we look back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they are fond memories. And nostalgia heals the mind and brings fresh insights about the past.

    Our past is our present and future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! Looks like we are about the same age and share the same love for music! Pleased to meet you and to read your blog. Thanks for visiting my blog too. Take care and have a good weekend.

    And yes...I love Clint Eastwood movies too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi masterwordsmith,

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    I was very pleased to discover your blog yesterday. You really read and write so much.

    I will defintely visit your blog regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous15/2/10

    BC- You can still view Roy Singing "The Fight'n Side of Me" on YouTube. His other song "Peace at the Table" was also available to view, but was removed. Loved Roy & Dale. Lived their faith instead of just talking about it. Believe it or not, I use their photo and story about their daughter, Robin, in a PowerPoint presentation at a local college. Great roled models for parents who have children with disabilities. What a shame the family had to close the museum in Branson. You can still by a DVD called "Tributes of Roy Rogers" here:
    www.happytrails.org

    Roger

    ReplyDelete