Friday, September 4, 2009

Wagon Wheels. Legendary Songs of the Old West - Part 1


During the CD era of 80s 90s, I listened to Mandarin pop/oldies, Cantonese pop songs and English pop/rock/rock n roll/folk/country n western/oldies. In short I listened to almost all types of songs. When I started collecting LPs in June 2006, I started by buying LPs of different genres. However, I soon found that I was attracted to country and western more than other genres. So I started to pay more attention to country and western LPs whenever I went to search for old records. I even informed a vendor to segregate his country and western albums for me.

One day in November 2006, when the vendor saw me during one of my excursions, he quickly pulled out an album from a tub and proudly announced to me that he had a “mother of all country and western albums” for me.

The title of the album is “Wagon Wheels. Legendary Songs of the Old West”. It contains 50 classic country and western songs!!! It is also a very unique album because it is made up of 3 LPs, 2 of them are RCA records and another one is Sony Music record.

Having bought that mother of all country and western albums, I declared my hunt for the day done and drove back home immediately. When I reached home, I quickly performed my ritual of water-washing/drying/anti-static solution rinsing/drying the LPs. Then I started to spin the LPs and searched the Internet for those cowboy singers who sang in this album (partially listed below).

Eddy Arnolds (1918 – 2008). Issued the first single in 1943
Gene Autry (1907 – 1998).
Jim Reeves (1923 – 1964). Issued the first singles in 1949
Jimmie Rodgers (1897-1933). Issued the first singles in 1927
Sons of the Pioneers. Formed in 1934
Roy Rogers (1911 – 1998). and Dale Evans (1912 – 2001)
Tex Ritters ( 1907 – 1973). Issued the first singles in 1932
Wilf Carter (1904 – 1996). Issued the first singles in 1933

I enjoyed listening to almost all the songs in the 3 LPs. I immediately scribbled the names of those singers I liked in a little notebook. For many months, the little notebook became my guide whenever I went hunting for country and western LPs.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic. Where do you buy these records?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obtained these LPs from several places:

    1. Amcorp Mall, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
    There is a flea marker at Amcorp Mall on every Saturday and Sunday. There are about 15 LP vendors.
    2. City Square, Jalan Tun Razak, KL
    3. Buy/barter trade/exchange with fellow hobbyists occassionally
    4. Jonker Street, Melaka
    5. Loring Kulit, Penang

    ReplyDelete