Sunday, August 30, 2009

Song - If I Give My Heart To You

Lyrics Jimmy Brewster, Jimmy Crane and Al Jacobs

If I give my heart to you
Will you handle it with care
Will you always treat me tenderly
And in every way be fair

If I give my heart to you
Will you give me all your love
Will you swear that you'll be true to me
By the light that shines above

And will you sigh with me when I'm sad
Smile with me when I'm glad
And always be as you are with me tonight

Think it over and be sure
Please don't answer till you do
When you promise all those things to me
Then I'll give my heart to you

* * *

I don’t know when was this song written and who was the original singer. Since Doris Day recorded it in 1954, It must be written in 1954 or earlier.

The song describes about a woman who is about to accept a man’s love. So she has to be convinced that the man “will always treat her tenderly”, “will be true to her” and “will sigh with her when she’s sad and smile with her when she’s sad”, then she’ll give her heart to him. Oh, so much dream, hope and anticipation !!!

I own an LP of Miyoshi Umeki wich contains this song but I could not find the video clip of “If I Give My Heart to You” sung by Miyoshi Umeki on YouTube. Here’s a link to the version performed by Dorothy Collins,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0HKEty9_is&feature=related

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/9/09

    I love Bouquet Of Roses and Anytime. Really beautiful CW music.
    Cheers,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/9/09

    Doris Day is one of my favourite singers. She has a crisp, clear voice and her diction is faultless.
    Cheers,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Doris Day is a lovely singer. She sings so well.

    Thanks, Andy.

    ReplyDelete