Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sons of the Pioneers - Wagons West

The Sons of the Pioneers were the foremost vocal and instrumental group in country and western music. They group was well-known for its harmonious singing.

The group was formed in 1933 by 3 members, Leonard Slye, a.k.a Roy Rogers (1911 - 1998), Bob Nolan(1908 – 1980) and Tim Spencer (1911 - 1976). Hugh Farr (1906 - 1980) joined the group in early 1934. The group was joined by Hugh Farr’s brother, Karl Farr (1909 – 1961) in 1935 and Lloyd Perryman (1917 - 1977) in 1936. Besides singing, the Sons of the Pioneers acted in many cowboy movies. When Leonard Slye became so busy in his acting career in 1938, he was replaced by Pat Brady.

The Sons of the Pioneers’ popular cowboy songs are Tumbling Tumbleweeds, Cool Water, Happy Trails, Ride Ranger Ride and Ghost Rider In the Sky.

In this album, the sons of the Pioneers sing with their typical harmonious voices. The sounds of guitars and other musical instruments gel so well at the background.

I love to listen to this album late at night. Whenever I placed this LP onto the platter and when the stylus started to glide through the groove, I found myself riding freely on the great wide grassland under the western sky and with cattle roaming around (minus the gun-fighting part, of course!). Sometimes, I wonder am I a cowboy reincarnated.

Song List:
Side 1- Land Beyond The Sun, Santa Fe New Mexico, Teardrops In My Heart, Wagons West, Cowboy Camp Meetin', Hundred And Sixty Acres
Side 2 - Down Where The Rio Flows, Will There Be Sagebrush In Heaven, Moonlight And Roses, Calico Apron And Gingham Gown, Waltz Of The Roses, Whiffenpoof Song

7 comments:

  1. The cover is truly well designed with contrasting colours. Songs like Cool Water, also by Frankie Laine, Tumbling Tumbleweeds and Ghost Riders in the Sky, made into a guitar instrumental, are cowboy classics.
    I wish I had this record. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Andy.

    When I picked up this record from the record sotre, I also said to myself, "Wow! what a nice cover design" too.

    The songs in this record are equally nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another country and western album of Tex Ritter, another singer of the old West. The album cover is so nice that I bought the album twice and gave one as a present to my brother.

    I will post the album in my blog in near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teoh, I share your passion for all things cowboy. Probably the influence of cowboy movies during our formative years. I agree that listening to music of the era transports one to a entirely different world. Great blog. I shall certainly return here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Roger,

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    I am very pleased to know someone like you who shares the same hobby as me.

    I watched quite a lot of cowboy shows on TV when I was a kid. I was always fascinated by the heroic antics of the cowboys then. I believe that's the reason why I love country and western music so much.

    Regards,
    BC Teoh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paulo Coelho and birds. I read Coelho sometimes and have a book which might interest you, "A Passion For Birds", by Ong Kiem Sian. She was a close friend who had just passed away because of cancer. Check out her website and if you buy her book it will help a charity organisation. It had a foreword by Lee Kuan Yew.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy, thanks for your recommendation. I will check the book up when I go to a bookshop next time.

    ReplyDelete