Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tex Ritter - Songs of the Golden West

When I bought this album in Oct 2006, I had never heard of Tex Ritter (1905 – 1974). However, I was attracted by its beautifully designed album cover that showed a deserted cowboy street flanked by some shops, a bank and a bar. This is a familiar movie setting where countless high noon duals take place.

From my research on the Internet, I realized that Tex Ritter was a cowboy movie actor and a singer. Wikipedia credited him with over 70 movies.

Tex Ritter has a deep and macho voice. He was the first country and western singer signed with Capitol Records in 1942. He was also the fifth person and first singing cowboy to be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

This album contains 12 tracks. The songs that I like most in this album are “I dreamed of Hillbilly Heaven” and “There’s a New Moon over My Shoulder”

Song List:
Side 1 - I Dreamed Of A Hillbilly Heaven, Green Grow the Lilacs, Love Me Now, High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me), Deck of Cards, Jealous Heart

Side 2 - Have I Stayed Away Too Long, Ol' Shorty, We Live In Two Different Worlds, There's a New Moon over My Shoulder, Jingle Jangle Jingle, Pledge of Allegiance.

4 comments:

  1. Well, there's always something to learn from your blog. I too love country music, and I'm sure a lot of baby boomers do too. Lately, I've watching some old western movies. At the time as kids we were mesmerized by such movies, but now you may find them a bit odd e.g. one punch and the guy lands in ICU, that sort of thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to read Tex Ritter comics. There were others too like Hopalong Cassidy, Tom Mix, Monte Hale, Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and Gene Autry. Most of them sing and had wonderful, intelligent horses to take them round the plains and prairies of the Old West.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rogers, thanks for your comment.

    Yes, I was mesmerized by the actions of the western movies. I am still mesmerized till today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, thanks for the additional information about Tex Ritter.

    ReplyDelete