Sunday, October 4, 2009

Slim Dusty - Aussie Sing Song

Slim Dusty (1927-2003) was Australia’s foremost and most famous country singer-song writer. He spent his entire life promoting Australian country music to the world.

Wikipedia lists these achievements of Slim Dusty:
1. His 1957 hit “A Pub with No Beer” was the first Australian single to go gold.
2. Over the course of his career, he collected more gold and platinum albums than any other Australian artists.
3. In 2000, he became the first music artist in the world to release 100 albums
4. In 2000 Slim Dusty was given the honour of singing Waltzing Matilda in the closing ceremony of Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
5. He sold more than seven million albums and single.

I came to know about Slim Dusty when I saw him performing in Sydney Olympic Games. During that emotional moment, I resolved that I would find and buy his CDs. Perhaps due to my slackness and forgetfulness, I forgot about Slim Dusty totally just several months later.

In mid-September this year, I went for my usual round for LP hunting in Petaling Jaya. After found and bought” Tammy Wynette – Stand By Your Man” LP, I hopped over to another store to continue my hunt. From a stack of cheap and junk LPs, I pulled out this LP. According to the sayings, “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure”, I quickly paid the man an amount equivalent to half a piece of McChicken and went home with this piece of “junk”.

This LP was released in 1962. It could be the earliest LP released by Slim Dusty. It contains mostly Australian folk and country songs and some European folk/marching songs. Most of the songs were with simple melody and were so catchy. I could not help but to download their lyrics from Internet so that I could sing along.

Do I like any song in this album in particular? No. Nothing in particular. I just like them all. Great album!!!

Song List:

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love, "Pub With No Beer". Like beer the song goes into the bloodstream and I want to listen to it again and again. Must check it out on YouTube.

    Good buy. Must find out from you where this PJ shop is?

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I love "Waltzing Matilda", "Click Go The Shears" and "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport". All Aussie pops.

    You must like Rolf Harris too? Besides being an artiste, he is also a great artist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this album at Amcorp Mall, PJ. This mall operates the biggest flea market in KL on Saturday and Sunday. There are more vendors on Sunday than Saturday.

    Thanks for bringing up the name of Rolf Harris. Malaysian TV broadcasted his drawing and singing programmes in the 70s(?). I watched many of his shows. I will start looking for his LPs.

    Here's a superb video clip of Slim Dusty singing 'Waltzing Matilda'. Enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwvazMc5EfE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23/10/09

    hi there, nice album

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous28/2/11

    I love this music from Slim Dusty. It is the best australian country music. There are two nice records. (aussie sing song and another aussie sing song)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous17/7/11

    I have a song from slim dustys album , Australiana , but i cant seem to find the lyrics to it the song is called the lame fiddler or the old violin , can someone put me on the right track plz ..or have the lyrics to it ... thanks

    ReplyDelete