Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rolf Harris - Rolf on Saturday o.k?

When I posted an Australian singer Slim Dusty's album on 4th October 2009, my friend Andy Young of "Singapore 60s Andy's Pop Music Influence" mentioned another famous Australian artist, Rolf Harris, to me.

The name, Rolf Harris, brought my memory back to the 70s. During that period, The Malaysian TV station broadcasted "The Rolf Harris Show" on weekly basis. The Rolf Harris Show has all the entertaining elements such as dancing, singing, stories/jokes telling and even painting in it. Rolf Harris was a skillful and creative that he painted with all sizes all paint brushes. More interestingly, he sang or told stories/jokes and painted at the same time. And by the time he finished his a song, he also completed his painting. I love the show very much.

Back to October 2009, I told myself that I would like to get a Rolf Harris LP or two. My lucky star was definitely shinning on me because a week later, I found this album of Rolf Harris, "Rolf on Saturday o.k?"

Rolf Harris ran his "Rolf on Saturday o.k?" in school halls all round England. I presume all the songs in this album were recorded live. This is a highly entertaining LP.

Song List:

Side A - Sig: It's a Saturday, ok?, Boiled Beef and Carrots, The Gasman Cometh, Turkey in the Straw, Papillon, On Ilkla' Moor Bah'at, A Windmill in Old Amsterdam, Best Foot Forward

Side B - The Laughing Policeman, Herrin's Head, Hole in the Ground, Portsmouth, Sunday by the Sea, The Tailor & The Mouse, Sig: It's Saturday ok?

5 comments:

  1. I did a comment a few days ago. Apparently it didn't come through. As I explained this LP will definitely be a collector's item as it has songs that are uniquely Australian. He's a funny man, really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering again. With titles using, Portsmouth, Amsterdam and Papillon, I am not sure now. Are some songs original or traditional? And are they all songs of Australian background?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy, I read the biography of Rolf Harris from Wikipedia.

    Although Rolf Harris was born in Australia, his started his performing career with BBC in 1953. He's always based in UK. That's the reason that his songs having titles like Portsmouth, Amsterdam and Papillon.

    Also learned from Wikipedia that the song, "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" was written by Rolf Harris in 1957.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, BC. Thanks. I must look up Wikipedia about him too. He was on Singapore TV with his Show in the 70s I think.

    Wonder if you have a copy of Nancy Sit's Cantonese version of 'Unchain My Heart' which Lam Chun See mentioned on my blog.

    She will also be in Malaysia for a show in KL on the 13th and 14th February.

    Do you listen to her music?
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy, Thanks for the information on Nancy Sit.

    I don't have Nancy Sit's LP. In fact, I don't have many Chinese and Cantonese LPs either.

    ReplyDelete