Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bob Wills - Plays The Greatest String Band Hits


In September 2009, I posted a 2-part article (part 1 and part 2) about the mother of all country and western albums, "Wagon Wheels - Legendary Songs of the Old West". The album is still my most treasured album to date. In that album, I got to know so many legendary country and western singers of the 20s, 30s and 40s. One of the singers was Bob Wills (1905 - 1975).


There is only one Bob Wills' song in that album. The title of the song is "Cherokee Maiden". This song was in Bob Wills' singles released in 1941. I was quite amused by the funny sound made by Bob Wills in that song. I subsequently I looked up Wikipedia for Bob Wills and learned that the funny sound was termed by Wikipedia as "hollering and wisecracking". I don’t know whether the hollering and wisecracking enhance or spoil the songs but I know for sure that they add the uniqueness of Bob Wills to his songs.


Here's what Wikipedia describes about Bob Wills hollering and wisecracking, "Wills was known for his hollering and wisecracking. One source for this was when, as a very young boy, he would hear his father, grandfather, and cowboys give out loud cries when the music moved them. When asked if his wisecracking and talking on the bandstand came from his medicine show experience, he said it did not. Rather, he said that it came directly from playing and living close to Negroes, and that he never did it necessarily as show, but more as a way to express his feelings".


Bob Wills was a pioneer in American Western swing music. The note at the back cover of this album describes western swing music "enriches the country music field", "is rich in blue" and "provides a rich repertoire for dance engagements at countless auditoriums and dance halls". I find that the songs and music in this album are so easy going and I tend to tap my hands along when listening to the songs.


Bob Wills was a great fiddle player and band leader of The Texas Playboys. The album contains songs and music performed by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.


Song List:


Side A - Milk Cow Blues, Slow Poke, Song of the Wanderer (Where Shall I Go?), My Mary, Whose Heart are you Breaking now?, San Antonio Rose


Side B - Talkin' Bout You, Shame on You, No Letter Today, Pan Handle Rag, Brown Skin Gal

6 comments:

  1. Heard and read about him but I don't have any of his records. 'Milk Cow Blues' has been recorded by Elvis Presley and 'San Antonio Rose' is a classic. I really don't know the rest.
    This vinyl is another collector's item BC. You sure you don't have another copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 'Milk Cow Blues' and 'San Antonio Rose' are 2 classic country and western songs.

    Andy, I noted down the titles/singers whenever you mentioned the magic words "any second copy?" or "collector's item" I will definitely be able to find some for you. See you again in December.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will watch out for his songs. LOL the term "negroes" won't be accepted today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. Thanks BC. Have been looking out for vinyls for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR TO YOU AND FAMILY. HAVE AN ENJOYABLE AND DESERVING HOLIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This album features Bob's last recorded fiddle solo as well on Brown Skin Girl.

    ReplyDelete