Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Charley Pride - In Person

When I bought records crazily in 2006, a vendor even sorted out all his newly acquired country and western albums and let me previewed and bought them on Saturday, which is one day before he put them up for sale on Sunday.


During one of our meetings on one Saturday morning in October 2006, he introduced Charley Pride to me. I was very surprise when I heard that Charley Pride was a black country and western singer because I had the impression that there were only white cowboys around.


I bought Charley Pride’s record with a few other country and western records on that day. When I spun the record on my record player, I was pleasantly surprised by his voice because he sounded just like other country and western singers. In fact, he even sounded a bit like Hank Williams. Needless to say, I fell for Charley Pride


This LP was recorded live in Panther Hall, Fort Worth, Texas in 1969. In this concert, Charley Pride even joked about how he sounded. He drew a lot of laughter when he mentioned that many people asked him why he didn’t sound like he’s supposed to sound. And Charley Pride’s answer was, “Well it is a little unique I admit but I have been singing country music since I was about 5 years old and that’s why I sound like I sound”.


Charley Pride was born in 1938. A check on Internet indicates that he is still performing in USA and Europe today. Charley Pride’s greatest achievement is having 36 number 1 hits on Billboard Country Chart. His first singles “Snakes Crawl at Night” was released in 1965.

This record was released in 1969.


Song List:


Side A - Intro by Bob Powell, The Last Thing on My Mind, Just between You and Me, I Know One, Lovesick Blues, The Image of Me, Kaw-liga


Side B - Shutters and Boards, Six Days On The Road, Streets Of Baltimore, Got Leavin' On Her Mind, Crystal Chandeliers, Cotton Fields

2 comments:

  1. 'Lovesick Blues' and 'Cotton Fields' are two popular CW songs and made even better by Charley Pride. It wasn't easy but he made it big and has been for so many years too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere that when the recording company released his first single, "Snakes Crawl at Night" in 1965, Charley Pride face did not appear at the album cover. They were afraid that he could not accepted by C&W fans.

    Anyway, he make it and the rest became history.

    ReplyDelete